ForumAlpinum is a scientific conference aiming to promote international research
cooperation on topics of relevance across the entire Alpine Arc. ForumAlpinum has also
been designed as an interface between the scientific community and policy, providing
opportunities for science-policy dialogue.
ForumAlpinum 2024 titled »The Alps – a Refuge of Bio- and Geodiversity!?« will
focus on biodiversity and geodiversity that are under severe threat – worldwide and
especially in sensitive ecosystems like the Alps. This ForumAlpinum will identify hot
spots of bio- and geodiversity, their monitoring and management in the Alps, analyse
land use conflicts and their impact on bio- and geodiversity, and assess the relevance of
bio- and geodiversity protection in the regional, national or international context to
discuss possible solutions.
Save a date! You are cordially invited to join the ForumAlpinum 2024 from 12 to 14
June in Kranjska Gora, Slovenia.
Call for contributions. We are happy to invite you to submit your abstract of scientific
paper presentation for the ForumAlpinum, addressing one or several of the topics listed
below or any other biodiversity/geodiversity related topic. Abstract should be max. 250
words long, and should include title, a brief description of the theme and content, up to
5 keywords, and the name(s) of the author(s) with affiliation. Abstract is to be sent to:
firstname.lastname@example.org till 24th November 2023.
Topics for proposal:
- Major bio- and geodiversity threats
- Landscape biodiversity
EU-politics restoration plan
- Monitoring of bio- and geodiversity (methodology)
- Long-term changes in bio- and geodiversity
- Role of protected areas
- Ecological connectivity
International cooperation between park managers
- The big wild animals – the carnivors
- Alpine bio- and geodiversity under climatic change
- Vulnerability of mountain peoples to food insecurity due to biodiversity loss
- Overtourism in mountain areas and its effect on biodiversity
- Historic changes in biodiversity in mountain areas due to human influence
- Major biodiversity threats, e.g. overexploitation, invasive alien species
- New habitat, e.g. glacial lakes and new glacier foreland
Publishing your scientific achievements. ISCAR is encouraging you to prepare
scientific papers for one of the special issues within the existing scientific journals, e.g.
the Journal of Alpine Research, Journal on Protected Mountain Areas Research and
Management (eco.mont), and the Acta Geographica Slovenica. The list of special issues
will be provided in January 2024, suggesting you the submission to the most relevant
one. Note that special rules for each special issue might apply.
Important deadlines related to ForumAlpinum:
– November 24th, 2023: submission of abstracts
– January 2024: note of acceptance by ForumAlpinum´s Scientific Committee
– March 2024: draft programme of ForumAlpinum
– May 2024: final conference programme
We are looking forward to receiving your abstract and hope to see you in Kranjska Gora.
Best wishes, on behalf of ISCAR and the local Organising Committee
ISCAR is an International Scientific Committee on Research in the Alps (est. in 1999),
consisting of representatives from the countries of Alpine Arc. ISCAR supports
cooperation in the entire Alpine space, amongst all disciplines and exchange of
scientific achievements in public and practice. Together with partners, ISCAR is
responsible for the organization of international event – ForumAlpinum. ISCAR indicates
and investigates issues related to Alps and cooperates with international mountain
research around the world.
F O R U M A L P I N U M 2 0 2 4